It is one of the unfortunate facts of my life that I have been cursed (or blessed, I suppose) with short stature. Tall people are constantly telling me how lucky I am to be so petite, but I doubt they'd be saying this if every single pair of pants they tried on were a good six inches too long. How short am I, you ask?
Oh... 4'8".
Honestly, I've mostly come to terms with this. I have a step stool in the kitchen, and I'm not shy about asking people to help me get things off of high shelves when I'm out shopping. I wear a lot of skirts, because they're usually the right length. I've also embraced heels. And when, at 27, people are still somewhat mocking me for having genetics that I cannot change, I tend to let it roll off my back.
The one downside to being so small is that I tend to gain weight pretty easily. Last August, I went on Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time and in two months I lost about ten pounds - half my goal. I felt so good about myself, not to mention just healthier and more energetic. In the midst of the loss, I started dating my sweetie and little bit after, in the euphoria of having met him, I completely threw caution to the wind and starting eating whatever I wanted. A little over a year later, I've gained all that weight back, plus a little more.
You know, just for good measure.
I told myself that as long as I was happy and felt good and could still zip up my pants, I wouldn't worry about this, but yesterday I pulled a pair of pants out of my closet and BAM! It happened, that whole trouble zipping thing. I thought about it for awhile, and I realized that even though I am pretty happy, I really don't feel all that great. I've been tired and headachy and just generally sluggish for the last month or more, and I have to wonder if it isn't in part caused by the weight gain.
So, I think it might be time again.
Every time I go on Weight Watchers I convince myself that THIS IS THE TIME that it sinks in and I actually follow through and lose ALL THE WEIGHT I need to to make my goal, and that it will be a REAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE and not just something I throw myself into for a few weeks before giving up and eating a bunch of things that aren't very good for me. I was SO GOOD for the amount of time that I was really focusing on eating better last year, and I would very much like to get back to that place and balance healthy eating with all the cooking and baking that I want to do.
I suppose this will be my unofficial experiment this fall and winter - can I be a domestic goddess and lose weight at the same time?
No comments:
Post a Comment