Sunday, October 11, 2009

Slow Cooker Sunday

I like gumbo. I do not however, like messing around with making a roux, de-heading and shelling shrimp to make stock, or standing over a hot stove when I could be knitting.

I do like making things in my slow cooker, and that's why I'm really looking forward to trying this Slow-Cooker Chicken 'n Rice Gumbo Soup tonight. It really couldn't have been easier - I prepped the ingredients and threw them into my Crock Pot after we finished breakfast this morning, and now they're quietly simmering away in the kitchen, making the whole house smell fantastic. Seriously, you wish you were here right now!


Can't you smell it? :-)

Slow Cooker Chicken 'n Rice Gumbo Soup
I made some modifications to the original recipe, including doubling the amount of chicken thighs and adding some additional spices, which are noted below.
  • 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 lb fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
  • 2 medium celery stalks, sliced (1 1/4 cups)
  • 1 large carrot, chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 box (10 oz) frozen cut okra, thawed, drained
  • 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
  • hot pepper sauce, optional
1. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except okra, rice and pepper sauce.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 hours 30 minutes to 7 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (180°F).
3. Stir in okra. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 20 minutes longer.
4. Spoon soup over rice in soup bowls. Serve with pepper sauce.


As for the knitting I'll be doing while I'm not fiddling around with dinner, I've got my third cabled slouchy beret of the season on the needles. Yes, third. The pattern is Natalie Larson's Star Crossed Slouchy Beret*. It's so cute and simple, and works up astonishingly fast - I started the one I'm working on now yesterday afternoon and I'm hoping to finish early this afternoon.




Stay tuned for pictures and a review of the gumbo, as well as a finished picture of the hat!

*The link is to Ravelry, and only accessible if you're a member.

1 comment: