Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hair Schmair

I had a completely delightful experience at a local salon tonight, and I feel compelled to share my joy with the world.

First of all, you must know that until tonight, it had been six months since I'd had a hair cut. SIX MONTHS. And friends? It was starting to show. I have this somewhat ambitious desire to knit as much of my wardrobe as possible, and I told Bryan the other night that if this concept is going to work, I can't look like I had to knit my wardrobe. I was really starting to look like some kind of refugee, or if not someone who had escaped persecution at the hands of her government, at least a girl that had run away from her stylist.


Ok, so it's not that bad. It definitely looks pretty scraggly around the ends, though.

Speaking of, I should make it very clear that I'm not here to trash my former stylist, as he was perfectly serviceable and did make me happy for the majority of the time I went to him. For me, however, the bloom was off the rose and I was a little tired of feeling like he wasn't listening to my hair-related concerns or even really focusing on me as a client while I was in his chair. It's a good part of the reason why I didn't go back for six whole months, and that's really too bad for both him and my hair.

So.

I drive by this little boutique salon called Mira several times a week, and a few weeks ago I started to toss around the idea of going there for my next cut in my head. I talked myself out of it more than once, until that conversation in the car this week, and on Wednesday I called to make the appointment. They wanted to get me in that day, but I needed at least a day to figure out what I wanted, and I'm glad I was scheduled when I was because I may not have met my new stylist, who was a joy to work with.

Tiffany was incredibly warm, friendly, and very talkative... which is great for someone like me who enjoys chatting with creative types but can't make very good small talk. As soon as I sat down in her chair I was completely at ease because she knew exactly what I wanted and gave me suggestions for what she'd do to make it work. For example, I wanted my hair to look thick but have volume, so she put layers inside the cut to give it lift without making it look like my hair had been chopped to bits. She even offered up helpful tips about styling the cut once I got home, using a flat iron as a curling iron, and what I could do with my color on a future visit.


*applause*

By the time she walked me to the front to pay for my services I was completely won over, and didn't think twice of it when she said, "give me a hug!" and patted me heartily on the back. She asked if I needed shampoo or styling products, but didn't try to up-sell me, which I appreciate. It also doesn't hurt that what I paid for the cut and brow wax (which she did as well) was incredibly reasonable: $35 for the cut/style and $12 for the wax. I left with a pretty little "welcome to Mira" bag of samples, and I've already scheduled a follow-up appointment for a cut/color and brow wax/tint for eight weeks out. Even though I just left I'm so, so excited to go back.

(Actually, they do free bang trims so I'll probably try to get in for one in April and consult the stylist on the color situation then. Guess I will get to go back sooner than planned!)

My only complaint - if you could call it that - is that while they offer a full range of salon services relating to hair, facials/makeup application, and aromatherapy massage, they do not do manicures and pedicures. I'm perfectly fine doing it myself, but it would have been great to find one full-service source for my girlie pampering.

Oh, and P.S. Citizens of the Interwebs - If you're ever looking for a gift idea for yours truly, a hot stone massage would be a great pre-hair cut treat... not to mention a good way to take the edge off the inevitable brow wax.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds fabulous! You look amazing.
    What's weird is that I'm finding more and more places that offer a wide range of services, except mani/pedi. I'm not certain if it's because of space or cost or what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute!!!
    I really need to get a haircut, like whoa. I've just been pulling it back every day because I can't do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete