In that time, we've re-painted the living room and put in new windows, but the decor part of the whole process has been pretty slow-going. Last week we picked up the pace with a new console table (there's something really grown up about having a console table, no?) and TV stand - as I type this Bryan's in the process of putting together the latter. This week however, we got something really exciting.
PILLOWS.
Our living room is pretty manly: espresso brown leather couches, "dark tobacco" wood furniture, and warm, cocoa-colored walls. I'd been searching high and low for some unique-looking pillows that would pull in the colors of the manly basics but also be a soft contrast to all the dark colors. I've always loved the combo of coffee and cream, with a splash of robin's egg blue or lemon yellow, so I was hunting for things in that color family.
I'd seen these DwellStudio pillows at Target before and loved them, but last night they just somehow fit. What I loved about them then that I love about them now is that they have a sort of handmade, vintage look - but at Target prices, which are a little more in my budget. (Seriously, the stuff on Etsy was lovely but SO EXPENSIVE.)
I just love how the seriousness of the little birdie contrasts with the playful dimensionality of the fabric flower. The brown pillow has the same, smaller, flowers all over the front and both have geometric prints on the back so if Bryan ever gets sick of the floral business we could flip the pillows over and they'd still go with the rest of our decor.
We've already found curtains in the exact same shade of blue that we're going to put up in the windows, and I'm going to knit some pillow covers and a blanket in soft shades of cream, white, and beige to help soften the tough leather of the couch. This pattern, which is knitted up in super chunky, super soft wool yarn, caught my eye months ago and will probably be in our home soon. I'm thinking a buttery cream or soft beige-y linen (rather than this gray-blue) would be perfect.

Lacy Chunky Throw pattern by Wenlan Chia
Once that's sorted out, we'll have to figure out what to put on the walls, and maybe check out rugs and vases and lamps and now I'm getting ahead of myself. If I focus on one element at a time, I won't get too overwhelmed. Although, I do love this knitted wreath.

Knitted Wreath pattern by CocoKnits
Later last night, while we were checking out at Target, Bryan was paying for the pillows and I asked him if he ever thought he'd be buying accent pillows. His reply? "Nope."
It was a big night for both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment