Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Handmade for Summer: Drika.B

I am decidedly a "big purse" kind of gal.

This can be mildly hilarious at times, since I'm so petite - the big bags that I love so much hang past my knees when draped over a shoulder, and make me look like a tiny pack mule. A good friend of mine (who so happens to be tall and slender) always carries a little purse - no exceptions - and she always looks so organized and chic doing it. So, I decided that it was time to try carrying a smaller purse, and figured a handmade one was a good place to start.

Enter Drika.B, whose unique creations use a variety of interesting fabrics and textures. I loved everything in her shop, but ultimately decided on the Birds in Brown Wristlet, which was a nice combo of neutrals with a pop of color.


Isn't it cute?

I was initially a little wary of buying a printed bag as my "main bag" for summer, but as it turns out, the birdies really don't get in the way. The bag itself is roomy enough to hold my essentials (wallet, iPhone, keys, lip balm/gloss, pen, grocery list, etc.) without being jammed full or overly weighty. The jute wrist strap is sturdy enough that I don't feel like I'm going to snap it off if I choose to carry the bag that way, but it's just as convenient to tuck it under one arm and go.

I'm not sure that I'm a small purse convert forever, and if the time comes for a new bag, you can bet I'll go back to Drika.B. I love these two that she has in her shop right now.


Photos by Drika.B

The Sand Chain Jute Handheld Satchel is neutral enough to go with everything I own, but still adds an element of interest to an outfit. The Azure Antler Jute Basic Tote is made with a Joel Dewberry print that I just cannot stop looking at - I love the combo of colors in the fabric.

Can't you just see yourself traipsing around town with these on your arm? I can!

I did not receive anything free in exchange for writing this post - I just really liked my wristlet from Drika.B!

No comments:

Post a Comment