
There is a snowman on my dining room table and I am proud of it.
I am about to say what I have to say with the full knowledge that it might just get me pummeled by thousands of tiny, virtual, somewhat ineffectual fists. I want you all to know that I am ok with this.
The high here for today is 71. It is sunny, and cheery and warm, and I am Not Happy with this development.
Warm, sunny weather makes me feel stupid for wearing sweaters and fuzzy socks, and guilty for spending all day inside in this getup when society seems to feel that that I should be outside, frolicking in the sunshine. I'm a homebody. If "fall and winter" were a hit song currently climbing the pop charts, it'd be my "jam," as the kids say. (Or said sometime in the mid-80's. I'm really kind of out of touch.)
Warm weather makes me feel weird about making chicken in my Crock Pot and roasted acorn squash and spinach salad with apples, even though it's November. It makes me feel uncomfortable about all of the tea bags I bought at Kroger today, even though I'm still pretty content drinking hot tea when it's 90 degrees outside. Most importantly, warm weather makes me feel weird about the snowflake napkin rings I just bought to match our snowman placemats and coordinating plaid napkins, despite the fact that they look good on my dining room table.

See? Cute, right? We really should have people over for dinner soon.
I am staying strong, though. I am wearing a sweater and fuzzy socks. I am making that chicken and squash and salad. I've lit candles, made a cup of tea, and now that our errands are done, I refuse to go outside and do anything that even resembles frolicking. I am Staying In.
Believe me, when it's still cold and disgusting and potentially snowing in March, I will regret that I ever said any of this. I'll be shivering in the sweaters I loved six months before, cursing the frost that still covers my car every morning, and longing for spring, and the 70-degree day that I left, forsaken, back in November.
Alright, bring on the hate...
Or am I not alone in this feeling?
I can totally understand where you're coming from (VERY cute place settings, btw!). I'm trying to see today as a respite from the How Cold Will It Get Before I Crack and Turn the Heat On? game that I've been playing. ;)
ReplyDeleteBut yes. Hello it is November. I would like to bundle up in my NaNoWriMo hoody and drink some hot chocolate, thankyouverymuch.
We've actually had the heat come on a couple of times, but Bryan has a programmable thermostat so it's set way back during the day. I can totally understand playing that game though... I'd be doing it if he wasn't in control of that sort of thing!
ReplyDeleteMmm. Hot chocolate.