Sunday, November 8, 2009

Plantastic... Sort of.

Last Sunday, I posted our PLAN for dinners that week. It started out looking something like this...

Monday
- Slow-Cook Tuscan Sausage and Bean Soup
Tuesday - Chicken, Broccoli and Brown Rice Skillet leftovers
Wednesday - Crock Pot French Onion Soup
Thursday - Quick & Easy Cioppino
Friday - Chicken Chop Suey
Saturday - Crock Pot Gumbo
Sunday - Shrimp Creole

And ended up with the last three days completely jumbled and changed around because I decided a) I didn't feel like making the Chicken Chop Suey, 2) Crock Pot Gumbo could be made on a week day after all, and d) I'd rather have Bryan make Shrimp Creole during the week, too. As a result, our weekend has ended up looking a little something like this:

Friday - Stuffed Peppers Meh.
Saturday - Brown Sugar Chicken OMG YUM TRY THIS NOW!
Sunday - Barbecued Shrimp Yummy in my tummy, for sure.

Everything we had was made in the Crock Pot, which was kind of a fun change of pace - not to mention that I wanted to try out the cute little 4-quart model I got on Saturday. It cooks kind of fast because it's still pretty new, but overall it gets rave reviews from us. I just wish it had a timer/automatic off function like my 5.5-quart SmartPot, but... you can't have everything.

Anywho...

I had planned to post our meal plan for this coming week, but to be honest... I don't have it set in stone yet. I know, I know, I made such a HUGE deal about how great it was that we plan ahead and log all our Points and blah blah blah, but here's the deal. We have ingredients for a handful of recipes already on hand, and a full-to-bursting freezer of leftovers. In fact, we also have a fridge full of ingredients that's threatening to escape its confines and kill us in our sleep. It's obscene and overwhelming and mildly embarrassing. Most of it is alcohol we can no longer drink in large quantities, juices we must now sip sparingly, and vegetables (on sale at Kroger, woo!) that take up a surprising amount of space. Oh, and condiments. We like our condiments. (We have a shocking amount of salad dressing for people who really don't like salads unless the main green is spinach.)

So, I planned a few meals, but I think we're going to wing it a bit over the weekend. I guess I could still post the plan... Here's what I've got so far:

Monday - CrockPot Gumbo with Jiffy Cornbread Muffins
Tuesday - Stuffed Pepper Stoup with a Yummy Antipasto-Style Spinach Salad - recipe coming soon!
Wednesday - Shrimp Creole with the leftover Jiffy Cornbread Muffins
Thursday - Turkey Meatballs with Quick & Spicy Tomato Sauce and Whole Wheat Spaghetti leftovers
Friday - CrockPot Indian Curry leftovers with Basmati Rice and Naan
Saturday - Whatever Sounds Good which may be CrockPot Apricot Chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and my favorite spinach salad of all time
Sunday - Whatever Sounds Even Better and that could possibly be CrockPot Thai Curry

So, we'll see how it goes. Next week I'll probably report that we completely upended the plan and made haggis or something crazy like that.

I have no intentions of making haggis, but I was amused to find that there is a non-skeezy recipe for it in my Make It Fast, Cook It Slow book that translates the usual preparation into a sort of meatloaf. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment