Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cuppity Cakes!


You have no idea how hard it is to be in a house with these cupcakes and only eat one. Well, 1.5. Technically 1.25 because the first didn't have frosting and we shared it. I'll shut up now...

The cupcakes featured in the photo above are my contribution to my company's annual Thanksgiving Pitch-In. For you less countrified folks, a "pitch-in" is apparently another term for a potluck, which means that everyone has to bring a "covered dish." In years past we had a sign up sheet for food that was split into a variety of helpful categories, but this year management has apparently decided to wing it because there was no sign up sheet.

I cannot even begin to tell you the kind of panic not having this simple little bit of organization has thrown me into. First I agonized over what the definition of a covered dish actually is. Is it literally a hot side dish with a lid? Can the definition be expanded to baked goods and salads as well? Then I agonized over whether bringing a dessert would potentially leave us with too many desserts. Everyone brings a pie to this sort of thing, so what if we had like, twelve pies? Then I agonized over the possibility of a Thanksgiving event without green bean casserole, which is what I usually bring but pretty quickly decided against this year. In the past it's never been that popular, plus it's kind of a pain to make it in the morning, only to have to refrigerate it and reheat it and mess with the texture of the topping.

It was a very ridiculous process that culminated in me consulting at least half a dozen different people on what I should bring, only to choose something completely different: Cider Cupcakes.

I wish I could say that I made one of the many fancy-pants versions that's currently saturating the web, with a mix of cake flour and whole grain pastry flour, with butter from my own cows and cider from my own apple orchard and cider mill, but alas... I cannot. No, I used a Duncan Hines mix with some of my own swaps, and it turned out really freaking awesome. The cupcakes on their own are amazingly delicious, but with the Whipped Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting on top they're absolutely divine.

Best of all, I managed to make utterly decadent and delicious cupcakes that are 3 Points each - which is pretty dang good when you consider the facts, which are presented below. Enjoy!

Cider Cupcakes
1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Cake Mix
2/3 cup apple cider
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) light butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used one of those little single-serving cups)
3/4 cup egg substitute
2/3 tub Betty Crocker Whipped! Cream Cheese Frosting (18 to 20 tbsp worth)
2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish

Combine cake mix with the cider, butter, applesauce and egg substitute. Mix and bake per package directions. While cupcakes are cooling, mix frosting with cinnamon. When cupcakes are completely cool, lightly top each one with just over 2 tsp of frosting. Sprinkle on additional cinnamon, if desired. Store cupcakes in an airtight container, out of sight and mind. :-)

P.S. If you're not a fan of frosting, these little gems are only 2 Points without it. I bet they'd be delicious with a little fat-free whipped topping and some fresh berries... Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone at my library calls them "pitch ins", too! I had never heard that before I worked here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a southern Indiana thing, because where I come from they call them carry-ins or potlucks!

    ReplyDelete