Monday, November 2, 2009

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like...

I learned about this thing called NaBloPoMo (sounds like some kind of Asian dumpling, doesn't it?) today via a friend's blog, and I'm kind of excited about participating. When I started writing here I wanted to do it daily, but I've been really bad about keeping up with it. And, since I just happened to remember to post yesterday, it seemed like a perfect time to get started.

So... *whistles*

Earlier tonight Bryan and I went to Target to buy some very exciting things: The Simpsons season 12 DVD (they were all out), caulk to patch the garbage can, eggs, and a loaf of bread. While we were there I got sucked into the vortex that is the entire small appliances/dishes/linens section and came out convinced that I need another, smaller Crock Pot, not to mention one of absolutely every adorable Christmas-y type thing they sell.

I would totally use those dessert plates with the snowflakes and candy canes on them that were sitting on the shelf next to the coordinating forks and pie server AND the adorable mugs, right? That's what I thought.

When I am in a rational state of mind, I have very specific rules about the buying of Christmas decorations and candies and other holiday-type things. In general my rule can be summed up as follows: NOT UNTIL AFTER THANKSGIVING. And yet, every year I go out a few days after Halloween and find myself completely charmed by everything I see that's been put out for Christmas. It's all just so... festive! And shiny! And cute!

At one point even Bryan seemed to be held in the thrall of the Target seasonal merchandise, because we both giddily agreed that a particular snowman doormat might be a good idea. That, dear readers, was when I realized it was time to grab our stuff and get out of there. Don't get me wrong, I am all about getting into the spirit of the season, but as soon as my very practical boyfriend agreed that we needed a doormat with jolly snowmen printed on it, I snapped back into reality and realized that it's only November 2nd.

November 2nd!

Who am I kidding? We'll probably pick up that silly little doormat when I go back to get the Crock Pot this weekend... but someone needs to stop me from getting the penguin candy bowl and the candy cane appetizer dish and the reindeer kitchen towels, ok?



Visit NaBloPoMo

3 comments:

  1. I have already started buying some of Target's Christmas goodies. My sister and I both LOVE Christmas and LOVE Target's merchandise. In fact, tonight we went and spent a good 15 minutes just looking over all the delightful ornaments!

    I have already bought some placemats, and my sister has bought a blanket. And I know the exact doormat you're talking about, and I have almost bought that too.

    I love Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you buy some caulk?!
    (God, I am 12 years old. I just cracked myself up.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Abby, we did buy some caulk. :-P

    ReplyDelete